- All-new Ford GT supercar is the culmination of years of Ford innovations in light-weighting, aerodynamics and efficient EcoBoost engines
- Ford GT is powered by second-generation twin-turbo Ford EcoBoost V6 engine
Ford GT Racing
JUN 14, 2016 | Ford Performance Video
Ford GT Documentary: The Return: Chapter 4 (The Driver's Perspective)
DEARBORN, Mich. -- Ford race car drivers have spent less than a year testing the all-new Ford GT, but they’ve had a lifetime of motorsports experience to help them prepare physically and mentally for the rigors of one of the most prestigious auto races in the world – the Le Mans 24 Hours. The 2016 event is now just weeks away. Four Ford GT race cars will compete.
“In motorsport, it’s so much about the man and the machine and having to optimize both to be successful," said Raj Nair, executive vice president, Global Product Development, and chief technical officer, Ford Motor Company. "We received a lot of interest from race car drivers wanting to drive the all-new Ford GT and, from that, we’ve assembled a talented and experienced team.”
“Chip has this amazing knack of looking you right in the eye and knowing if you’re right for us,” said Mike Hull, managing director, Ford Chip Ganassi Racing.
“Lots of drivers out there are fast. In endurance racing, where you share the car, you need to compromise. There’s always a little give-and-take with the other drivers," said executive vice president, Global Product Development and chief technical officer, owner, Ford Chip Ganassi Racing, "That’s ultimately what made the decision for us.”
“It’s a very considered decision, selecting the drivers. Primarily, we’re looking for speed and consistency," said George Howard-Chappell, principal, Ford Chip Ganassi Racing (WEC) "Then, you start to get into character, and whether or not the guy’s a team player.”
“I feel extremely lucky to be part of the program," said Ryan Briscoe, driver, No. 67 Ford GT, IMSA; No. 69 Ford GT, Le Mans 24 Hours, "I feel privileged to have been chosen to be one of the few drivers to develop this car and go race it. I’m definitely a lucky man.”
Five episodes started on March 17:
- Episode 1: “The Return: The Decision” -- Bill Ford, Raj Nair and Dave Pericak discuss what it will take to be successful with the all-new Ford GT.
- Episode 2: “The Cutting Edge” -- Ford GT represents the best and newest technology Ford has to offer – elements that will benefit the full product lineup.
- Episode 3: “Let’s Race” -- Tells the story of the Ford GT’s racing debut at the Rolex 24 At Daytona.
- Episode 4: “A Driver’s Perspective” -- Tells the story from the drivers’ point of view, from what it was like to be selected to competing at the Le Mans 24 Hours.
- Episode 5: “The Road to Le Mans” -- The race to the starting line comes to a close at last at the 2016 Le Mans 24 Hours. (Coming soon).